Friday, August 29, 2014

Ocean Tide Study I

Ocean Tide Study I
watercolor
6 x 6 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

I have begun a series of small paintings inspired by the ocean tides. A recurring theme in my painting that continues to inspire me to put paint to paper. They are about the light, color, and movement of the sea as it comes to shore in its eternal, comforting rhythm. As a subject, these images provide me with a place to expand on my painting vocabulary, how to show all of that watery motion with sharp and soft edges, brush strokes, and changes in value and hue. This painting was inspired by the beach in the early morning light of the sunrise, when the pastels of sea and sky blur on a misty horizon.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

The colors in the water and distant sky are absolutely mesmerizing me, Ann. Very beautiful piece!

Jennifer Rose said...

gorgeous colours :D the lighting is really well done

Bee said...

I found your blog through Martha's favourites. Very taken with the colours in your ocean studies. Impressed how you capture the differences in something always in itself changing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin