Wednesday, August 17, 2016

only what matters

Behind Pompano
watercolor
6 x 8 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

This painting is inspired by a view of a small canal that runs behind Pompano Street on Edisto Beach, SC. It is a scene that I have attempted to paint several times yet was never satisfied with the result. I was trying to say too much with too many details. The heavy stillness of that lowcountry air with the quiet water that rises with the tide eluded all of my previous attempts. Now finally, by simplifying the elements in the scene, I have a painting that captures what I was after and by now it is a scene that I know very well!

Coneflowers
watercolor
6 x 8 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

By contrast, this painting was one that came about rather quickly and effortlessly. Although I have painted the coneflowers from our garden in the past, I usually fussed about with them looking for a different, more literal result. Here I went straight in with paint with no preliminary sketching. I have found I am usually more successful getting what I am after painting flowers this way as I am better able to express the freshness that is flowers.

With both paintings it was the stripping down the subject to just the essentials that provided me with the best success. Yes, there is a lesson to be learned here.

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

great flowers :D

love the colours in your landscape. has a great sense of stillness and calm to it but the colours add a lot of warmth to it :)

Autumn Leaves said...

How wonderful all of your works are, Ann! I love the wildflower field...the geraniums on the chair...the colors in this most recent piece. Sigh...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin