Tuesday, November 29, 2016

sketchbook :: food for the feast

We had a wonderfully relaxing Thanksgiving holiday which was spent cooking, eating, sketching, and catching up with a dear friend. I managed a couple of watercolor sketches in my 9 x 12 Kilimanjaro watercolor sketchbook. The clementines above and the sweet potatoes below were both done with watercolor only, no preliminary sketching, just straight in with paint.
That is my preferred way to sketch in watercolor, although sometimes I find myself committed to a composition that could have been better planned.
However, there were no do-overs. The clementines were needed for zest in the cranberry sauce and the sweet potatoes ended up mashed under that blanket of marshmallows. And when we put away our art supplies to finally eat dinner everything was so very tasty.

And now it's suddenly time to begin preparing for the next holiday! In between I am resolved to keep up with my studio practice as I have so many ideas percolating at the moment. I know it's nearly impossible to do everything, but I can certainly try!

1 comment:

Jennifer Rose said...

very bright clementines :) I've had sweet potato once, didn't like it but maybe I should have covered it with marshmallows :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin